BRIGHTSTONE INTRODUCES “BRIGHTSTONE BRACKETOLOGY” DURING MARCH– DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES AWARENESS MONTH
In 1987, President Ronald Reagan declared March as National Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month. The proclamation called for people to provide understanding, encouragement and opportunities to help persons with developmental disabilities to lead productive and fulfilling lives.
Since this proclamation describes the mission of BrightStone, during the month of March, BrightStone is initiating a fun, awareness campaign entitled “BrightStone Bracketology”. A total of 16 donors, volunteers and staff members have joined in a “competition” to recruit new Facebook likes and Twitter followers to help build awareness for BrightStone’s mission, vision and work in the community of developmental disabilities.
The sixteen participants are encouraged to go viral and communicate with their personal friends and followers to not only cast their vote for them by liking or following with their assigned hashtag, but also to encourage their friends and followers to help spread the message. “Viral communication will be key to this campaign,” stated Tina Majors, Director of Fund Development at BrightStone. “Building awareness for BrightStone will allow us to share updates, opportunities, accomplishments and milestones with social media friends. We know that our community likes to vote online, and this is a slightly different twist!”
Other ways that you can make a difference and participate in Developmental Disabilities Awareness Month include:
(1) Volunteer! An hour, a half/day to help a BrightStone student, for a project, for an event—we have something for everyone! You can use your abilities to help BrightStone! Call 615-790-4888 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
(2) Organize a themed “Shower of Blessings” from your church, organization, club or workplace to provide needed supplies and materials for operations. Ideas include: Paper Goods, Pantry Items, Office Supplies, Arts and Crafts, Production Needs, etc. Lists of specific needs can be provided upon request.
(3) Schedule a personalized tour for yourself, a friend, business associates, organization or club members, church members, co-workers, etc. Tours are generally given Mondays-Thursdays, at either 9:30 or 11:00 a.m.
(4) Plan to participate in BrightStone’s BOWLABILITY benefit on August 10th or 11th by organizing a team and raising much needed funds for our adults. Go ahead and make that commitment by registering at http://www.firstgiving.com/brightstone/bowlability2015. Participating is SO MUCH FUN!
(5) Financially support BrightStone’s endeavors by contributing to our scholarship fund, “Enhance the Chance”. Help make it possible for an adult to attend who otherwise might not be able. Visit http://brightstone.org/donate/enhance-the-chance-scholarship-campaign/.